Sunday, September 27, 2015

A Little About Myself

      My name is Rolando, I'm 21 years old and I'm currently studying at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus as a Molecular Cellular Biology mayor and I plan to become a physician with a sub specialty in cardiology. I come all the way from Mayagüez, P.R. where I spent the majority of my life studying in my high school: the Academy of the Immaculate Conception. During this time I devoted myself to two things: schoolwork and sports. I knew that in order to be admitted into "Naturales"  my grades had to be top notch.

     I remember how great playing soccer was –I prefer the term "Fútbol", but that's a whole new post–
. Every time I stepped on the pitch, whether to train or to play, it was a place where my mind was free of care and responsibilities. I began when I was sixteen years old for the "Academia de Fútbol ALIANZA Indios Yagüez" (my soccer club's name). I played mostly defensive positions; we arrived 3rd place on the Metropolitan league as we lost that semi-final. Coming back from arriving last place on the league the season beforehand, I learned that perseverance, hard work, guts and discipline pay off; these lessons have stuck with me always and I use them everyday.

     After I graduated from high school I went to the UPR Río Piedras Campus. this was a whole new journey for me because it was similar to when you travel to foreign territory; you do not now anyone and you feel all alone. This was my reality for the first three months of my first semester, then had the chance to meet many friends and share in their stories, what they had to tell; their journeys sort of became woven into the fabrics of my journey.




As you may have noticed the title of this blog is Puerto Rican Winds. I chose this title because of my love for my country. Winds are a form of energy, they also are a symbol for hope and change. This is what I wish for my beautiful island.

     I will be sharing many things from my island and making parallelisms between them and the material discussed in class. All the best!



2 comments:

  1. My high school years also consisted of school work and a sport (dancing). I know how it feels to be drowning in it but the satisfaction you get afterwards is priceless. I have met new people in college also but haven't had the chance to become friends with any. My high school friends are in the same college as I am and I guess I'm so emotionally attached to them that it's hard to find new ones when your old ones are there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete